With Kay Bailey Hutchison retiring from the U.S. Senate, candidates from all parties are already gearing up for the 2012 elections. The challengers are expected to collectively run one of the most expensive senate races of the election cycle. Of course plenty of polls have already been done, trying to tell you who you should vote for. My hope here is to give you links to information that will allow you to decide for yourself, who best represents you and your ideals of what a Senator should stand for.
On the Republican Side:
- Former Dallas Mayor Tom Leppert announced Friday that he is entering the race.
- Glenn Addison, a self-proclaimed “common man”.
- Andrew Castanuela, licensed professional counselor.
- Ted Cruz, former state solicitor general, and so far my favorite.
- Elizabeth Ames Jones, Texas railroad commissioner
- Michael Williams, former Texas railroad commissioner
- Roger Williams, former Texas secretary of state.
- David Dewhurst is also expected to enter the race, and appears to be a favorite in the polls.
- Other may potentially enter the race as well.
On the Democrat Side, it seems to still be widely undecided with fewer candidates to choose from:
- Sean Hubbard, strategy director of Many Molera’s 2002 congressional campaign.
- Retired Army Lt. Gen. Ricardo Sanchez is also a favorite among Democrats.
- Others may potentially join the race as well.
Other Candidates include:
- Chris Tina Bruce, personal trainer.
- And certainly we can expect the Libertarian, Green, and Constitution Parties to eventually try to get a candidate on the ballot.
Some of the hot topics being discussed:
- Certainly Immigration and border enforcement is a big topic for Texas, especially along it’s vast southern boarder.
- Federal budgeting is definitely on the top of everyone’s mind these days.
- The economy in general.
- Political corruption and leadership
- Health care.
- Education, especially with the large state budget shortfall that is causing schools to cut back.